Orange Town Hall
N8242 6th Ave
Camp Douglas, WI 54618


Town Board Meetings
2nd Wed - 7PM
Annual Meeting
3rd Tues in April

Meeting dates/times are subject to change. Watch for agenda postings.

Volk Field Forecast

Town of Orange, Juneau County

Town Orange Bulletin Board

About Town Orange — Juneau County

Known originally as Lone Rock, a small settlement began to develop north of the Orange Mill in about 1850. C. B. Skinner and Albert Wilcox were among the first settlers; Wilcox buying his farm in 1857 and Skinner in 1861.

The Town of Orange was organized by Juneau County in 1857. In that same year, the La Crosse and Milwaukee Railroad (later the Milwaukee Road) crossed the Wisconsin River at Kilbourn (now Wisconsin Dells) and began pushing through Juneau County, including a stop at Orange Mill. Early settlers engaged in farming, but most of their income was earned by cutting timber for ties and fire wood that was sold to the railroad to burn in its locomotives.

By 1873 Lone Rock had been settled by many families of Danish origin. One of the three schools in the town was built there. This was also the year that St. Stephen's Lutheran Church was established. In 1876 Lone Rock Baptist Church was organized. Services at both churches were conducted in Danish until around the time of World War I.

The original log schoolhouse was torn down in 1891 and replaced with a newer structure. This building is the current town hall.

In 1890 a cooperative cheese factory was built across the road from the school. This building was converted to a creamery in 1906. In 1920 the creamery ceased operation and was torn down. Later this site was occupied by a filling station and general store.

In 1893 the Village of Camp Douglas was incorporated from land that was originally part of the Town of Orange. The historic St Stephen's church building was moved into Camp Douglas, where it is still home to a Lutheran congregation.

More information can be found in the Town Comprehensive Plan.

Old Orange Mill